Hidden water leaks are one of the greatest dangers and costly issues that homeowners face. Fires can result if leaking water were to come in contact with wires. Additionally, the water itself can cause severe damage and flooding.The two main causes of water leak are corrosion and extreme temperatures.
Water leaks are a particular concern for older residences. While modern PVC pipe components are not subject to these problems, older copper pipes can be subject to problems like corrosion.
For these reason, it is important for homeowners to understand the best strategies for managing pipe leakage. By preemptively solving these problems, disastrous situations and extremely costly repairs can be avoided.
What are some professional detection techniques?
- Examine water pressure and use specialized instruments to detect if pipes are leaking
- Use specific instruments that can listen for the sound of an ongoing leak
- Professional plumbers will often isolate the leak to certain areas by blocking off specific sections of a pipe. If their tools are still detecting a leak after a certain area has been blocked off, it is clear that the leak is not in that area.
Since water leaks can cause extensive damage, homeowners often wonder what they can do to avoid them in the first place. There are two ways:
- In extreme cases, homeowners can have their entire home’s plumbing system replaced to update older pipes with newer PVC materials. This solution is extremely effective.
- Another way to avoid leaks is to have your plumbing system regularly inspected. With professional assistance, homeowners can identify areas where corrosion is likely to occur. When these problems are found, segments of pipe can be replaced to compensate for these issues.
Detecting water leaks is important, because it can prevent severe water damage from occurring inside a home. Without the assistance of a professional, homeowners will find it nearly impossible to detect these leaks on their own.