Is Your Furnace Making Noise?
We are living in unprecedented and uncertain times. With the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus in December 2019, governments and organizations have been shutting down businesses and calling for individuals to stay at home. Like many other Canadians, you may have begun practicing social distancing and self-isolation to avoid contracting the COVID-19 virus and spreading it to others. For most of us, this means spending the majority of our time at home with our families.
While you are at home, you may hear occasional noises coming from your furnace. After all, a furnace can be a noisy machine! It’s common for your HVAC system to make noises when operating normally. You’ll often hear a low hum and even an occasional bang or hiss, which is an indication that your system is working as it should. If anything, these sounds should be a comforting reminder that your furnace is actively working to keep your home warm and comfortable.
However, if your system begins a noise you haven’t heard before, it could be an indication of a more significant issue taking place within your furnace. Don’t wait until your furnace breaks down and you’re stuck at home freezing! The key to prevention is action. Find out a few common reasons why your furnace may be noisy and then give us a call! We’re always there when you need us so you can stay safe and comfortable in your homes during this pandemic.
The Key Causes to Look Out For:
- Fan or Inducer: With gas furnaces, specifically, products of combustion and other substances are removed by a motor-powered fan or inducer. If there is a grinding or high pitch sound, it could be a sign the motor is beginning to fail, or a sign that your inducer may be clogged with debris or dirt.
- Indoor Fan Motor: Has your system’s motor bearing seen better days? If so, it could be the reason you hear a grinding noise. If ignored, a worn-out bearing could cause the motor to burn out. Skip the costly repair bill, and have your motor replaced by a professional.
- Gas Valve: Have you noticed irregular clicking sounds? It could be caused by your system’s gas valve. A faulty or clogged valve can fail to release gas, and as a result, cause the ignitor to begin to click!
- Pilot Ignition: The constant clicking you’ve been hearing may be your furnace’s spark ignitor trying to re-start your pilot light. A worn-out, lose or damaged ignitor can cause the furnace’s spark ignitor to work overtime, all in an effort to re-ignite it. A functioning pilot light is essential to ensuring your furnace produces heat.
Our Safety Measures For COVID-19
The safety of our customers and employees is of utmost importance to AtlasCare. We understand that prevention is the best defense against COVID-19. To protect our customers and employees, our company has implemented strict preventive measures with our field staff to minimize contact with others and limit the virus from spreading.
We have taken numerous precautions to ensure we can still provide emergency service during this tough time:
- Our technicians will no longer be shaking hands with our customers.
- We’re asking homeowners to provide a sink for our technicians, and the technician will bring their own soap and rags.
- Upon arrival, our technicians are wiping down their iPads and washing their hands before beginning the service.
- After the service is done, our technicians are wiping down the thermostat and their iPad and washing their hands before leaving the home.
- Homeowners will have the option of signing or not depending on how comfortable they feel.
- Our trucks are being wiped down and cleaned before and after every shift to make sure that they are clean and safe.
Inspection & Furnace Repair
One minor issue with your heating system can cause another one of your home’s systems such as air conditioning, to be affected. While certain DIY projects can be fun, we don’t recommend tackling your furnace repair alone. Our team of expert furnace technicians can diagnose the problem and offer the best solution for you and your family. Regular HVAC maintenance and inspection is the best preventive measure you can take to keep your home comfortable at all times. Save yourself the headache by scheduling HVAC maintenance with our trusted team!
If your furnace isn’t working as it should and you find yourself in need of emergency repair, contact us! Whether it’s a dangerous gas leak or a faulty HVAC system, we are always there when you need us.